PORTLAND - Higher fines for six Portland parking violations went into effect Thursday.
The increased fines cover the following categories:
- No Meter Receipt, from $45 to $60
- Improper Display of Meter Receipt, from $34 to $39
- No Front or Rear Plate, from $55 to $80
- Area Permit Required, from $60 to $80
- Carpool Zone, from $70 to $90
- Truck Loading Zone, from $65 to $90
Many drivers downtown were not pleased with the increase.
I think it s ridiculous, said Cindy Borders. It s getting harder and harder to park down here, more and more impossible. I mean you got business down here. You gotta be able to park. And if you get caught longer than you need to be, you're stuck.
But not everyone was unhappy.
I work in a building where we get a lot of deliveries, and often times, people do park there illegally and it causes quite a pain when we're in a hurry. We have clients waiting for us trying to get someone in the door, said Josh Rhodes. So I have to say I agree with it.
A city spokeswoman said the increased fines were expected to generate $1.4 million in new revenue, which will be split by the City of Portland and the State of Oregon.