SHERWOOD, Ore. No damage was reported after two small earthquakes struck near Sherwood Sunday night, but some residents found a good opportunity to double-check their disaster preparedness plans.
The epicenter of the 3.3-magnitude quake was about six miles north/northwest of Sherwood, at a depth of 12 miles. A 1.6-magnitude quake hit nearby about 10 minutes earlier.
More than 1,000 people from all over the region reported feeling the quake around 8:30 Sunday night, but no damage was reported.
A geologist from Portland State University told KGW there s no cause for alarm after such small quakes. But he said people should review their earthquake response plans and double-check their disaster kits (see below).
One man who lives in the Sherwood area told KGW he s been doing exactly that.
Well, we have a large emergency aid kit that has everything in it, and we have two other first aid kits, said Rick Reuter. I guess we need to get more prepared in the future, like stock more water and stuff.
Click for the Red Cross Earthquake Safety Checklist
Oregon state geologist Vicki McConnell estimated there's about a 30 percent chance of a magnitude 8 earthquake occurring along the Cascadia subduction zone in the next 50 years, and about a 15 percent chance of a magnitude 9 quake.
The American Red Cross recommends keeping a disaster kit on hand, complete with the following:
- Water one gallon per person, per day (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Food non-perishable, easy-to-prepare items (3-day supply for evacuation, 2-week supply for home)
- Battery-powered or hand-crank radio (NOAA Weather Radio, if possible)
- Extra batteries
- First aid kit Click for more
- Medications (7-day supply) and medical items
- Multi-purpose tool
- Sanitation and personal hygiene items
- Copies of personal documents (medication list and pertinent medical information, proof of address, deed/lease to home, passports, birth certificates, insurance policies)
- Cell phone with chargers
- Family and emergency contact information
- Extra cash
- Emergency blanket
- Map(s) of the area