LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

CORNELIUS, Ore. A man and his 2-year-old daughter narrowly escaped after his minivan went up in flames as they waited in the drive-thru at a Cornelius Burger King Thursday.

Around 12:45 p.m., Mike Ostella s minivan started to smoke before flames started by a malfunction in the van s fuel system started to jump out from under the hood, according to Matt Johnston, a spokesman with Forest Grove Fire & Rescue.

Ostella grabbed his daughter and abandoned the van as it sat between the board where he placed his order and the drive-thru window.

Moments later, the van was fully engulfed in flames, Johnston said.

No one was injured in the fire.

Employees and customers evacuated the Burger King at 2245 Baseline Street for around an hour, and other than a little smoke, no damage was done to the building.

Patricia Edmonds was driving by and snapped a photo of the van fully engulfed in flames.

Read or Share this story: http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2014/07/26/12612804/