LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

PORTLAND -- A federal judge issued broad rulings ordering the disclosure of evidence before the trial begins for the man accused of plotting to kill thousands in Portland's Pioneer Courthouse Square.

But it's unclear what records, if any, the judge's orders will produce.

Mohamed Osman Mohamud, now 21, previously pleaded not guilty in court to charges of attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction.

More: Read court affidavit

Federal agents in a sting operation arrested the Somali-born American just as he tried blowing up a van they said he thought was loaded with explosives at the crowded 2010 Christmas tree-lighting ceremony. The bomb was actually an elaborate fake supplied by the agents and the public was never in danger.

Investigators said Mohamud plotted a spectacular show of terrorism for months, telling undercover officers he didn't mind that children would die if he bombed the crowded ceremony, according to court documents.

Multimedia: Bomb plot timeline

Tuesday in court, Mohamud kept his head down as attorneys spoke of undercover agents, secret recordings and potentially classified information that may or may not be permitted during his trial. He wore blue jail clothing and was flanked by his defense attorneys.

Mohamud's attorney argued for release of government evidence in the case. He also said the government should turn over Mohamud's statements, recordings of undercover agents, computer activity and surveillance video.

Judge Garr King ruled that prosecutors must turn over recordings of all statements made by Mohamud, including electronic, telephone and recorded face-to-face conversations.

Prosecutors argued they had already given the defense all the recordings relevant to Mohamud's defense and didn't say whether any others exist.

We do not agree that (the government has) provided everything they're supposed to, said defense attorney Steve Sady. We're five and a half months before trial and we still don't have everything.

Judge King also denied several other specific requests for evidence from the defense, including requests to see what documents were used to put Mohamed Mohamud on the federal no-fly list and information about the amount of government money spent on the investigation.

If convicted, Mohamud faces a maximum sentence of life in prison. His trial was set to begin on October 2.

Complete coverage: Tree-lighting bomb plot investigation

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE
Read or Share this story: http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2014/07/24/12222930/