Autoplay
Show Thumbnails
Show Captions
LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A fire on the deck of a Street of Dreams homes was caused by an improperly installed fire pit, according to the Portland Fire Bureau.

Portland fire crews were called to the home near NW Skyline and Cornell around 7:45 p.m. Monday on reports of the deck on fire. Firefighters said flames were contained to the deck and didn't spread to the rest of the home.

The fire was accidental in nature and caused by a fire pit that was not installed according to the manufacturer's recommendations and placed too close to combustible materials, said bureau spokesman Paul Corah. The fire pit trough was installed inside a wood-framed raised seating area on the home's fixed exterior deck.

The house is part of the NWNatural Street of Dreams 2010, in which participants can buy tickets to take tours of the homes.

According to the organization's website, the home can be toured everyday through Aug. 29. A spokeswoman said the damaged area of the deck will be fixed in time for Tuesday's tours.

Read or Share this story: http://www.kgw.com/story/news/2014/07/20/11759648/