PORTLAND Interstate 5 will see several closures between Friday night and Monday morning as crews inspect the Burnside Bridge.
The closures are necessary as crews inspect the east side approach to the 87-year-old bridge, which passes over the southbound lanes of the freeway.
As part of the inspection, maintenance crews will remove loose concrete, said Oregon Department of transportation spokesman Don Hamilton. Freeway lanes below the bridge need to be closed during the inspection to ensure the safety of travelers.
Closures were scheduled as follows, weather-permitting:
All northbound lanes one southbound lane of I-5 closed between the Fremont and Marquam bridges:
- From 10:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 3 to 7:30 a.m. Saturday, Jan. 4.
- From 11 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 4 to 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Jan. 5.
- From 10:30 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 5 to 5 a.m. Monday, Jan. 6, if needed.
Hamilton said the following ramps will be closed when I-5 northbound is closed:
- The ramp from Southwest 5th Avenue to Interstate 405 southbound.
- The northbound OR-43 ramp to I-5 northbound.
- The ramp from the Morrison Bridge to I-5 northbound.
- The ramp from I-405 southbound will be closed to I-5 NB but open to Interstate 84 eastbound.
- I-5 northbound exit 300 to I-84 eastbound will be closed, although I-405 southbound to I-5 southbound, leading to I-84 will remain open.
Detour signs will help get around the closures. I-405 will remain the easiest detour around the closures without leaving the freeway.
The work will not impact traffic on the Burnside Bridge.