BEAVERTON, Ore. Many residents and business owners in Washington County just found their zip codes will be changing, to accommodate the growing population in the area.
A Saturday mailing notified people that the change would take effect in a just over a month.
In order to provide efficient and cost-effective mail delivery now and for the future, the U.S. Postal Service is creating two new ZIP codes in the Beaverton/Aloha area, effective July 1, 2014, USPS spokesman Peter Haas said Monday.
Residents will still receive their mail at the old ZIP codes for a year, but some complain that s not nearly long enough.
They're only giving us a one-year grace period to get our mail changed to the new ZIP code and that's grossly inadequate, said Don Kirkpatrick, of Beaverton. If you happen to own a car, your title is renewed every two years, so your renewal notice is going to get lost for half the people.
Customers in affected areas should use their new ZIP codes when reordering stationery such as letterhead, envelopes, promotional literature, forms and business cards, Haas said.
Magazine publishers, financial institutions, insurance companies and utilities typically use computerized customer mailing lists, which update address ZIP codes on a regular basis, he added.
Haas said Saturday s mailings were actually premature; zoning maps hadn t even been created by Saturday.
Here are the boundary descriptions for the new ZIP codes (addresses on the boundary roads will not change):
- Northern Boundary: SW Jenkins Road running east to west from SW Murray Boulevard, converges into west Baseline Road and ending at SW Cornelius Pass Road.
- Western Boundary: SW Cornelius Pass Road from west Baseline Road to SW Tualatin Valley Highway.
- Southern Boundary: SW Tualatin Valley Highway running west to east from SW Cornelius Pass Boulevard to SW Murray Boulevard.
- Eastern Boundary: SW Murray Boulevard from SW Tualatin Valley Highway to SW Jenkins Road.
- Northern Boundary: SW Tualatin Valley Highway running east to west from SW Murray Boulevard to SW 229th Avenue.
- Western Boundary: SW 229th Ave. from SW Tualatin Valley Highway to SW Rosedale Road then west to SW River Road then south to SW Farmington Road.
- Southern Boundary: SW Farmington Road running west to east from SW River Road to SW Murray Boulevard.
- Eastern Boundary: SW Murray Boulevard from SW Farmington Road to SW Tualatin Valley Highway.
Kirkpatrick said the change will not be as easy for residents as USPS is letting on.
There's no reason to have caused everybody the expense of new checks, new drivers licenses and new documents of all kinds, your magazine subscriptions, Kirkpatrick said. All of these things are going to have to be changed and they're going to take time.