Speedskating races range from 500 to 10,000 meters
Long track speedskating:
- the track is a quarter mile long and you could fit two hockey rinks inside it.
- It has two racing lanes.
- Skaters change each lap with the outside skater having the right of way.
- A skaters racing suit must conform to their body.
Short track speedskating:
- Think NASCAR on ice.
- Track is 121 yards around and it fits inside a hockey rink.
- 5-6 skaters compete at once.
Because blades are so sharp all skaters have to wear cut-resistant uniforms
A skater is disqualified if:
- Two false starts
- Cut off a competitor
- Use the wall for balance
The biggest difference in the discipline is the type of skate blade used:
- Long track skaters use a clap skate.The advantage of this skate is the blade briefly disconnects from the boot allowing the blade to stay on the ice longer and that increases the skater’s power
- Short track skaters do not have a blade that releases at the heel instead skaters can adjust the curve of the blade to help them in their turns
And that’s your look at the Rules of the Game