Timber tie Sounders 4-4 during sellout game

Timber tie Sounders 4-4 during sellout game


by Joe Becker, KGW Staff


Posted on April 5, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Updated Sunday, Apr 6 at 10:27 AM

PORTLAND -- It was one of those magical games, Portland against Seattle, and the Timbers Army was out in full force Saturday. It was the Timbers 54th consecutive home sellout with 20,814 fans on hand at Providence Park.

The action was fast and furious with Seattle grabbing the lead in the third minute as former Timber Kenny Cooper made the first goal.

Six minutes later, the Timbers evened things up with a goal by Diego Chara on a cannon shot. The score was 1-1.

The rollercoaster ride continued with another goal just five minutes later. Diego Valeri gave the Timbers a 2-1 lead in the 14th minute.

However, Seattle superstar Clint Dempsey evened things up again with a goal in the 24th minute.

It was 2-2 at halftime.

It was raining, but the action on the field was red hot. The Timbers were dominating and Chara gave the Timbers the lead again with a beautiful goal in the 55th minute, 3-2 Portland.

The Timbers made it 4-2, just two minutes later, with Maximilliano Urruti and a terrific goal curling into the netting from 20 yards out.

The Timbers looked like they were on their way to their first win of the season, but Dempsey and the Sounders never quit.

Dempsey scored in the 85th minute to make it a one goal game.  Then the Timbers committed a foul moments later. Dempsey nailed the penalty kick and the game was tied at 4-4 in the 87th minute.

For a brief moment, the Timbers Army stood in stunned silence at the start of stoppage time. The game ended in a 4-4 draw.


It was a point in the standings for both teams, however, the Timbers were left with a tough game to swallow.

“We can’t be satisfied being up 4-2 and giving away two points,” says Timbers Coach Caleb Porter, “So, the competitor in me is dejected, and those guys as well. The coach in me is very encouraged by a lot of the things I saw today.”

Timbers starting goalkeeper Donovan Ricketts sat the game out for the second of a two game suspension for a foul he committed against Colorado earlier in the season.

Andrew Weber replaced him and was obviously disappointed with the outcome.

“Offensively, today, we were exceptional," said Portland Defender Pa Modou Kah. "We moved the ball. It was pretty to watch and be a part of. You know, we just keep moving forward. The good thing is we scored four. We’ve got to win these games, we’ve got to make sure they don’t come back.”