MANILA, Philippines (AP) — The largest Muslim rebel group in the Philippines says police commandos have endangered a years-long ceasefire by raiding a guerrilla stronghold where they believed al-Qaida-linked terrorists had taken refuge.
The Moro Islamic Liberation Front said Tuesday that the commandos failed to arrest any terrorist in last week's raid on the rebel stronghold in mountainous Butig town in southern Lanao del Sur province.
The rebels say police did not coordinate the raid with them as agreed on in the past to avoid accidental clashes that could endanger the truce.
The rebels have asked a Malaysia-led contingent safeguarding the cease-fire to investigate the incident.
Police spokesman Generoso Cerbo said the attack targeted "a high-value terrorist target" but no arrest was made.
The rebels are engaged in peace talks with the government.