Mayor reassures Portland after terror plot

Mayor reassures Portland after terror plot

Mayor reassures Portland after terror plot

Print
Email
|

by David Krough, KGW.com Staff

kgw.com

Posted on November 30, 2010 at 6:44 PM

Updated Wednesday, Dec 1 at 10:17 AM

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Mayor Sam Adams on Tuesday released a letter to Portlanders to reassure a city shocked by the break-up of a suspected terror plot during the Christmas tree lighting ceremony downtown last week.

"Events at the Square and around downtown Portland will continue throughout the Holiday Season, and Portlanders can be confident in the knowledge their city is making all the necessary steps to ensure their safety and security," the mayor said.

More: Read the letter

Federal agents in a sting operation arrested 19-year-old Mohamed Osman Mohamud as agents said he tried blowing up a van he believed was loaded with explosives at the crowded Christmas tree lighting ceremony. The bomb was an elaborate fake supplied by the agents and the public was never in danger, authorities said.

Adams said he had met with the Somali Islamic community, in the wake of an apparent arson at a Corvallis mosque. No one was hurt in that fire.

Complete coverage: Portland terror plot

"From the point of view of the Muslim community, it was important to make clear that the acts of one individual do not speak for or represent the beliefs of the Muslim and Somali communities," Adams said.

Adams also said the city was weighing whether or not to join the Joint Terrorism Task Force, which Portland opted out of in protest in 2006.

Print
Email
|