NEW ORLEANS – Police authorities said a shooting that left one man dead and nine others injured started as an argument that escalated into gunfire early Sunday morning.
Police Superintendent Michael Harrison said two men involved in the argument were not from the New Orleans area, and have not yet been arrested.
“We believe they ran into each other in the street and an argument ensued at that time that stemmed from an argument that they had already had from another place,” Harrison said.
Harrison added that five victims have been released from the hospital. Four others are still being treated, but Harrison did not provide an update on their conditions.
The victims range in age from 20-37 years old, authorities said. Two are from New Orleans, seven are from other areas of Louisiana and one victim is from Mississippi.
NOPD authorities also added 12 people have been arrested over the holiday weekend and booked with illegal possession of a firearm. Two of the arrests were made at the scene of Sunday morning’s shooting.
“Everything we could do, we did,” said Chief Harrison when speaking about police response. “Everything that was supposed to happen, happened. All of our police officers, state police, EMS, all of our first responders acted quickly.”
Mayor Mitch Landrieu sent his condolences to the family of 25-year-old Demontris Tolliver, a Baton Rouge native who died from the shooting. Police said he was shot in the chest and shoulder blade area, and died at the hospital.
“What I would say to the community is if you want a safe community you’ve got to step up to the plate,” said Landrieu. “Action have consequences and when you have a complete disregard for human life, you have to go away.”
He also asked anyone with information to come to authorities.
“It is impossible to believe with technology and social media that somebody doesn’t have a picture that will really help us,” Landrieu said.
Anyone with information on this shooting is asked to call Crimestoppers at (504) 822-1111.
© 2017 WWL-TV