SWIFT RESERVOIR, Wash. – A girl is suffering from severe burns after falling in a fire pit at a Washington camp site.
The girl was hurt Sunday at the Swift Forest Camp on Swift Reservoir. She was identified by authorities Tuesday as six-year-old Arianna Lopuga.
She was flown in a LifeFlight helicopter to Randall Children’s Hospital at Legacy Emanuel in Portland, for treatment.
As first reported in The Columbian, the girl had a six-inch patch of burned skin on her back, as well as burns on her hands, according to Tom McDowell, assistant chief of North County EMS.
Firefighters said it’s a reminder of the dangers of fire pits – including the popular styles that many use in their backyards.
Fire safety experts advised that supervision is the key and suggested drawing a line around the fire pit to set boundaries for children.
"Then there is a kid-free zone - that 2 to 3 feet area around the fire pit or the campfire that children are not allowed in, for their own safety sake,” explained Karen Eubanks with Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue.
And children aren’t the only ones who can get into trouble. Eubanks said dogs and cats often get hurt around fire pits too. She suggested putting a small fence around the fire area, to keep pets a safe distance from the flames.