Pets perish in Jefferson Ore. 2-alarm home fire

Pets perish in Jefferson Ore. 2-alarm home fire

Pets perish in Jefferson Ore. 2-alarm home fire

Print
Email
|

by Evan Sernoffsky, kgw.com staff

kgw.com

Posted on December 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

Updated Saturday, Dec 8 at 3:21 PM

JEFFERSON, Ore. – A dog and a cat perished after a manufactured home went up in flames early Saturday morning. The homeowners made it out of the house safely, firefighters said.

Just after 2 a.m., Ken and Michelle DuClose and Ken’s brother Mike awoke at their home at 1981 Steiwer Road to the sound of fire. The home was already full of smoke and the flames were too big to extinguish, Tammy Robbins with the Jefferson Fire District said.

The couple’s Yorkshire terrier “Owen” and “Dat” the cat unfortunately did not make it out of the house.

A neighbor saw the flames and called 911. Firefighters had the fire under control shortly before 4:30 a.m. 

Authorities believe the fire may have been caused by an unattended burning candle.

Damages were estimated at $170,000.

The family did not have fire insurance.

Print
Email
|