Family: Boy with 'severe' allergy dies after being served grilled cheese

NEW YORK (AP) - Authorities have closed a New York City pre-school after a 3-year-old boy died from what his family says was an allergic reaction after being fed a grilled cheese sandwich.
    
A GoFundMe page set up by the family of 3-year-old Elijah Silvera says he went into anaphylactic shock Nov. 3 at the Seventh Avenue Center for Family Services in Manhattan. The family says the toddler had a severe allergy to dairy but was given a grilled cheese sandwich by an adult at the pre-K.
    
Relatives say he was taken to Harlem Hospital, where he died.
    
City health officials ordered the pre-kindergarten school closed on Wednesday for failing to follow a written safety plan and failing to adequately supervise a child. Agency officials say they're investigating the boy's death.

Click here to visit the GoFundMe page set up by his family

© 2017 NBCNEWS.COM


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment