JEFFERSON, Ore. -- Investigators said Friday the four-alarm fire that destroyed the Columbia Spas business in Jefferson started from a baseboard heater.
The Jefferson Fire District said firefighters were dispatched shortly after midnight Thursday and found the building at 1827 Talbot Road SE, about 10 miles south of Salem, engulfed in flames.
Fire and multiple explosions threatened a nearby mobile home park, so Marion County sheriff's deputies evacuated residents to a Red Cross shelter set up at Jefferson High School. The fire was controlled by about 2:30 a.m.
The fire district said the 25,000 square foot building was insured and the owners were called to the scene.
Schools opened two hours late in the Jefferson School District due to the high school being used as a shelter.