Suspect shot by police in I-84 carjack attempt appears in court

PORTLAND -- Portland Police have now identified a man who was reportedly waving a gun at cars at the intersection of Interstate 84 and Northeast 122nd Avenue Monday morning. Denorris Laron McClendon, 27 years old, was the man shot by an officer and taken into custody with non-life-threatening injuries.

He was booked into the Multnomah County jail after medical treatment and is now charged with 12 counts of menacing, 2 counts of reckless endangerment and two counts of disorderly conduct.

McClendon appeared in court Tuesday. His attorney entered a not guilty plea on his behalf. Bail was set at $160,000.

VIDEO: Watch KGW report

Officers responded to the reports of the suspect pointing his gun at passing cars around 10 a.m., police said. Other callers said the suspect was trying to carjack drivers on the highway ramp.

According to Portland Police Chief Mike Reese, when officers arrived, the suspect pointed a gun at an officer and ran through traffic.

An officer fired his gun and hit the suspect, Reese said. The suspect fled but collapsed in the 11200 block of Northeast Fremont Street.

The suspect indicated that he wanted officers to shoot him.

Officers, assisted by SERT and the Crisis Negotiation Team, were able to detain the suspect and take him into custody. He was taken to a Portland hospital with what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries.

Reese said officers are not yet sure if the suspect's gun is real or a replica.

As is standard with incidents like this, homicide detectives were investigating. Any witnesses who have not yet spoken to police were asked to call the non-emergency line at 503-823-3333.

The officer involved in the shooting, Michael Honl, was placed on paid administrative leave.

During what Sgt. Pete Simpson described as an "ongoing tactical operation," residents around Northeast 122nd Avenue and Northeast Fremont Street were told to "shelter in place."

Karen Wheatfall, who lives in the neighborhood, said she was shocked by the police activity in the neighborhood.

"Our neighborhood is quiet," Wheatfall said. "We've been here 20 years, never had any problems."

Labor Day drivers were at a standstill on I-84. Both westbound and eastbound lanes of I-84 between 181st Avenue and I-205 were closed through the investigation. The highway reopened just after 2 p.m.

KGW Reporter Erica Heartquist contributed to this report.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment