U.S. Rep. Greg Walden, Oregon's highest ranking Republican, joined other members of his party by denouncing lewd comments Donald Trump made in a recently surfaced video from 2005.
Walden released a statement on Trump Monday afternoon.
“Of course I condemn Mr. Trump’s comments on women. They were disrespectful and disgusting, and not representative of the Republican Party I grew up in and have worked hard to support and grow," Walden said. "While some aren’t surprised by his behavior, it’s clear he and he alone is responsible for his actions and statements. My focus continues to be on serving the people of southern, central, and eastern Oregon, and maintaining a Republican majority in the House so we can get the country on a better path."
Walden tepidly endorsed Trump earlier this year, saying the candidate is better than Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
Oregon GOP governor candidate Dr. Bud Pierce also condemned the comments.
"Mr. Trump's comments are degrading, unbecoming, and unacceptable period," Pierce, a Salem cancer doctor, said in a prepared statement. He also called the comments "deeply disturbing."
Pierce, who recently apologized for his own comments about women — saying that educated women are less "susceptible" to domestic violence — had originally backed Trump, only to rescind his endorsement in September.
The comments made by Trump, which were first published by the Washington Post, were caught on camera during a taping of the entertainment show Access Hollywood. Trump's profanity-laden conversation with then-Access Hollywood correspondent Billy Bush was caught on a hot microphone, with the two apparently unaware they were being recorded.
In the video, Trump brags of kissing and groping women, adding that "when you’re a star, they let you do it."
Trump also talks of trying and failing to seduce a married woman.
The businessman and Republican presidential candidate has since apologized for the remarks. In a video statement, Trump said, "Anyone who knows me knows these words don't reflect who I am. I said it, I was wrong and I apologize."
He also released a statement via email. In it, Trump said the comments amount to "locker room banter, a private conversation that took place many years ago."
He turned to Bill Clinton, saying that the former president "has said far worse to me on the golf course — not even close. I apologize if anyone was offended."
Since the video came to light, prominent Republicans have been abandoning Trump. U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan and Republican vice presidential nominee Mike Pence also canceled public appearances with Trump.
Northwest Republicans offer mixed response
In the Pacific Northwest, Republican establishment leaders have released mixed statements. U.S. Rep. Dan Newhouse, who represents most of Central Washington, has not released a statement. The Oregon Republican Party has also remained silent.
Washington's other Republican members of Congress, U.S. Reps. Jaime Herrera Beutler, Cathy McMorris Rodgers and Dave Reichert, all denounced Trump in recent days.
"For months I’ve left the door open for Donald Trump to earn my vote. That door has now slammed shut," said Herrera Beutler, who represents the Vancouver, Washington area.
McMorris Rodgers, the highest-ranking Republican woman in Congress, also denounced Trump but would not say if she still intends to vote for him.
"It is never appropriate to condone unwanted sexual advances or violence against women," McMorris Rodgers, who represents Spokane, said in a prepared statement. "Mr. Trump must realize that it has no place in public or private conversations."
Supporting Trump's statement is Washington GOP chair Susan Hutchinson. KING5 reports that Trump "was a Democrat at the time and he was channeling Bill Clinton" when he made the lewd comments caught on camera.
Send questions, comments or news tips to firstname.lastname@example.org or 503-399-6653. Follow on Twitter @GordonRFriedman.