Kah-Nee-Ta Resort reopens as crews battle nearby wildfire

Kah-Nee-Ta Resort evacuated due to wildfire

WARM SPRINGS, Ore. -- The wildfire in the Warm Springs Indian Reservation continued to grow, along with other major fires across the state. But Kah-Nee-Ta Resort was reopened Monday afternoon.

"Wildfire activity in Oregon has escalated significantly since Friday, particularly in eastern Oregon," said Doug Decker, Oregon State Forester. "If you couple these major fires with increasing shortages of firefighting resources and add in the extreme fire danger and conditions statewide, you can see just how critical it is to prevent the next fire."

Decker urged Oregonians and state visitors to help eliminate the risk of any new human-caused fires by using extreme caution in wildland areas.

"Now is the time for vigilance and fire awareness," he added. 

The Warm Springs Fire has exploded to more than 86 square miles. People at the Kah-Nee-Ta Resort and homes in the Wolf Point subdivision were alerted to leave. Around 500 guests and employees evacuated as a precaution because there was only one road in and out of the resort.

Highway 26 had been closed because of the fire, but it was reopened Saturday morning. Drivers were advised they might see lengthy stretches of burned grass and trees.

More: County Line 2 (Warm Springs) Fire updates

"We just want everybody to be safe," said General Manager Raul Ainardi in a news release. "Wildfires are unpredictable and can move fast."

Do you have any photos of the Warm Springs wildfire, or the damage it caused? Email your pics to: newsdesk@kgw.com and we will show them on TV and online, with credit to you.

The County Line 2 fire started Wednesday, caused by sparks from a passing vehicle. It has destroyed three structures and forced two lengthy closures of Highway 26.

More than 100 people had registered to stay at the Red Cross' emergency shelter at the Jefferson County Fairplex, according to KTVZ.

People who made reservations at the lodge over the weekend were urged to call and reschedule, and cancellations were honored. The resort announced just before 2 p.m. Monday it had reopened.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment