TIGARD, Ore. -- Ten kids were taken to four different area hospitals with breathing problems after they were exposed to some type of toxic chemical at at a Tigard pool.
An employee at ClubSport, on Boones Ferry Road, called 911 just before 5:30 p.m. Saturday to report several children had suddenly started coughing while wading in an outdoor pool, according to Brian Barker of Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue. The children were all between 4 and 8 years old.
"Because of the severity of the breathing difficulties they were experiencing, 10 children were transported to area hospitals," Barker said.
Fire crews were not sure what chemical the children were exposed to.
"ClubSport tells TVF&R that a pipe in the pool occasionally vents chlorine vapors, but that it has not sickened anyone in the past," Barker said. "It is not clear at this time what kind of gas was involved or what triggered today's incident."
The club's general manager said safety is the number one priority and they were working to determine what happened. He said they would make any changes needed to ensure it won't happen again.