Burned Salem woman reaches $5M settlement

Burned Salem woman reaches $5M settlement

Print
Email
|

by KGW Staff

Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews

kgw.com

Posted on May 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Updated Tuesday, May 14 at 5:15 AM

SALEM – A Salem woman sued the makers of a serving dish warming fuel after she suffered burns to nearly one-third of her body when a canister exploded.

Lillis Larson was burned while volunteering at an art fair four years ago. She was at a booth selling warm sandwiches out of a chafing dish. She was using a can of chafing dish fuel made by Canadian company Eco-Flame.

When another volunteer filled up an empty Eco-Flame can—that was cool to the touch—it exploded.

“I heard this explosion, I turned around and then I was on fire," Larson said. “I want to make sure this doesn't happen to anybody else. It just really shouldn't happen."

She suffered second- and third-degree burns on approximately one-third of her body. She settled out of court for more than $5 million.

Larson’s attorney said the manufacturer put profit over consumer. The bottle was labeled "non-explosive."

The company did not return calls or emails from KGW Newschannel 8.

Print
Email
|