PORTLAND - Higher fines for six Portland parking violations went into effect Thursday.
The increased fines cover the following categories:
- No Meter Receipt, from $45 to $60
- Improper Display of Meter Receipt, from $34 to $39
- No Front or Rear Plate, from $55 to $80
- Area Permit Required, from $60 to $80
- Carpool Zone, from $70 to $90
- Truck Loading Zone, from $65 to $90
Many drivers downtown were not pleased with the increase.
“I think it’s ridiculous,” said Cindy Borders. “It’s getting harder and harder to park down here, more and more impossible. I mean you got business down here. You gotta be able to park. And if you get caught longer than you need to be, you're stuck.”
But not everyone was unhappy.
“I work in a building where we get a lot of deliveries, and often times, people do park there illegally and it causes quite a pain when we're in a hurry. We have clients waiting for us trying to get someone in the door," said Josh Rhodes. "So I have to say I agree with it.”
A city spokeswoman said the increased fines were expected to generate $1.4 million in new revenue, which will be split by the City of Portland and the State of Oregon.