HILLSBORO -- A Metro West Ambulance employee was burned Sunday morning when an oxygen tank exploded in the garage at the company's headquarters.
Eric Nehl, 25, of Scappoose, is now recovering at home after treatment in burn unit at Legacy Emanuel Hospital.
Eric suffered burns to his face and head and has lung damage, his father Steven Nehl told KGW.
The explosion occurred when Eric was filling oxygen tanks at the Metro West facility and a valve malfunctioned.
Nehl is an emergency medical technician and also volunteers for the the Scappoose Fire District. He had planned to join the Army in just a few days.
"I was ironically worried about him getting hurt in the Middle East or something," Steven Nehl said. "And here he gets it right here at home."
Nehl said when his son woke up in the hospital, he wanted to know who helped save him and if anyone else was hurt.