La Center, Wash. -- A nine-year-old girl has been badly burned while trying to light a bathroom candle with matches, according to Clark County Fire & Rescue Chief Dennis Mason.
The girl was flown in a LifeFlight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital in Portland where she was listed in critical condition Wednesday afternoon.
The child's clothing caught on fire and she suffered burns to her arms, hands and torso, Mason said. Her mother was also burned on the hands when she tried to extinguish the flames. The mother was treated and released at the hospital.
"She came out of the bathroom and her mom got her down on the floor and started tearing her clothes off and patting the fire out," Mason said.
They were the only two in the home, he said. The first call for help came in about 9:20 a.m.