Fire at Big's Chicken in NE Portland caused by electrical issue

Fire burns building, injures 3 people

PORTLAND, Ore. -- A large fire broke out Thursday morning in the Northeast Portland building that Big's Chicken shares with several apartments.

The fire, at 5663 NE Glisan Street, was reported at about 6:45 a.m. Portland Fire & Rescue officials said crews had knocked it down by 7:50, but were still searching for hot spots.

Two people in the building were rescued by firefighters with ladders. A third person jumped out a window to escape. All three were being treated for their injuries, and firefighters say all will survive. The two victims rescued down ladders suffered from smoke inhalation, the man who jumped injured his leg.

Portland Fire and Rescue said an electrical issue caused the fire.

Watch: Man jumps from window to escape NE Portland fire

Another resident living on the bottom floor told KGW the smoke filled his apartment very quickly.

"We heard the big bang and then smoke, a bunch of smoke a lot of fire, said 24-year-old Jordon Morehead. "It was thick black smoke, couldn’t see anything couldn’t breathe."

The Glisan Street off-ramp from Interstate 84 was temporarily closed as a precaution.

Photos: Fire at NE Portland chicken restaurant

 

© 2017 KGW-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
TRENDING VIDEOS