Police: Woman changes story in Grant Park sex assault

Police: Woman changes story in Grant Park sex assault

Police have withdraw the sketch of a suspect they released on Feb. 6. Police said the victim gave a false report and was not attacked by a stranger at all.

Print
Email
|

by Cornelius Swart, KGW.com Staff

kgw.com

Posted on February 11, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Updated Wednesday, Feb 12 at 11:10 AM

PORTLAND -- A woman who told police she was sexually assaulted by a stranger in Grant Park, inciting a neighborhood manhunt last month, actually gave police some false information, authorities said.

The public is not in danger and the woman was not assaulted by a stranger, police said Tuesday. 

The 22-year-old woman initially reported that she was sexually assaulted on Jan. 28 by a man who drove up to her in an SUV, got out, grabbed her and dragged her into Grant Park.

After police interviews, the victim admitted that the suspect was not a stranger and that she had also provided false information to a sketch artist, investigators said.

More: Police release sketch of Grant Park rapist

Police withdrew the suspect sketch they released on Feb. 6. Crime Stoppers withdrew its $1,000 reward for information on the case.

Detectives continue to investigate the incident and have not made any arrests, police said.

 

Print
Email
|