PORTLAND – A house fire off Southeast 81st Avenue was sparked by someone making drugs, investigators said Thursday.
A home at 8109 SE Lambert Street caught fire Thursday morning after someone inside began cooking hash oil, according to Lt. Rich Chatman of Portland Fire & Rescue.
Crew arrived at the home at 10:50 a.m. after neighbors called firefighters worried about flames and smoke pouring from the house. Crews entered the home and determined the fire had begun in the basement, Chatman said.
Once the fire was put out, crews found drug-making materials in the basement and brought in a hazardous materials team. Fire investigators and detectives with the police drug and vice unit determined that hash oil was being produced and that it caused the fire, according to Chatman.
The home’s one resident escaped the fire with some burns and was taken to Legacy Emanuel Hospital's Burn Center.
Police said they also seized marijuana remnants from the owner, who had an expired medical marijuana license, but charges related to the pot had not been determined.