Oregon teen admits charges in school bomb plot

Oregon teen admits charges in school bomb plot

Print
Email
|

by JONATHAN J. COOPER, Associated Press

kgw.com

Posted on May 12, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Updated Monday, May 12 at 5:43 PM

CORVALLIS, Ore. -- An Oregon teenager accused of building bombs and plotting an attack on his high school in Albany has admitted to the charges in juvenile court.

Seventeen-year-old Grant Acord appeared before a judge in Corvallis on Monday. He admitted to six counts of manufacture of a destructive device and two counts of unlawful use of a weapon.

A judge sent Acord to the Oregon Youth Authority, which can hold him until his 25th birthday.

In a deal with prosecutors, adult charges of attempted aggravated murder were dropped.

Police arrested the teen last year, saying he wrote detailed plans to "shot and throw bombs throughout the school," and then kill himself.

Authorities discovered two pipe bombs, two Molotov cocktails and at least two Drano bombs hidden beneath the floorboards in Acord's bedroom.

THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.

An Oregon teenager accused of building bombs and plotting an attack on his high school in Albany plans to admit to the allegations in juvenile court on Monday, his lawyer said.

Grant Acord, 17, will admit to six counts of manufacture of a destructive device and two counts of unlawful use of a weapon, defense attorney Jennifer Nash said. He'll be sent the Oregon Youth Authority, which can hold him until his 25th birthday.

In a deal with prosecutors, adult charges, which included attempted aggravated murder, will be dropped.

Police arrested the teenager last year after receiving a tip from a West Albany High School classmate. He wrote detailed plans to "shoot and throw bombs throughout the school" and then kill himself, authorities said.

The plans, which included a step-by-step itinerary for an attack, were written in notebooks that were found hidden beneath the floorboards in the teen's bedroom, along with two pipe bombs, two Molotov cocktails and at least two Drano bombs, police said last year.

A detective wrote that the notebooks indicate Acord "compares himself to both Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold," the teenagers who killed 13 people at Columbine High School in Colorado in 1999 before turning their guns on themselves.

Before reaching a deal with prosecutors, Acord had been planning an insanity defense. Nash had argued that Acord can distinguish right from wrong, but he was unable to follow the law because of a mental disorder.

In Oregon juvenile court, youths accused of wrongdoing do not enter pleas or receive convictions.

The Associated Press normally doesn't name minors accused of crimes, but it is doing so in this case because of the seriousness of the allegations and because Acord was initially charged as an adult.

Print
Email
|