Officer in Campbell shooting may be rehired

Credit: Courtesy: Campbell family

Aaron Campbell, 25, was shot in the back by a police officer on the day his brother died from complications related to a heart transplant.


by Jeff Thompson, Staff

Posted on March 30, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Updated Tuesday, Oct 29 at 8:50 PM

Do you agree with arbitrator's decision to reinstate officer Frashour?

PORTLAND -- The Portland police officer fired after the shooting of Aaron Campbell in January, 2010, should be reinstated and compensated for lost wages, a union arbitrator ruled Friday.

Officer Ronald Frashour fired a rifle at 25-year-old Campbell, hitting him once in the back in the parking lot of a Northeast Portland apartment building.

Background: Officer firing recommended over Campbell shooting

Frashour was fired for unsatisfactory performance and violation of the deadly physical force directive in November, 2010.

He filed a grievance and on Friday arbitrator Jane Wilkinson ruled in his favor, saying he should be reinstated as a police officer.

Click here to read the arbitrator's decision (PDF)

Mayor Sam Adams and Police Chief Mike Reese released a statement expressing their disappointment with the ruling.

“The City is reviewing all of its options, including whether we can appeal, and whether this is an award that is enforceable under state law,” Adams said. “Chief Reese and I have been vocal about our stance on this case and we asked for this officer to be removed from service, based on the facts of the investigation and our policies."

The Portland Police Association also released a statement Friday, showing support for the decision.

"Mr. Campbell, who had threatened 'suicide by police,' was armed and was reaching for his weapon at the time he was shot," the statement read. The union "cannot allow Portland police officers to face termination and substantial discipline for doing their jobs correctly."

Click here to read the Portland Police Association statement (PDF)