Shot Vancouver officer released from hospital

Shot Vancouver officer released from hospital


by Associated Press and Staff

Posted on July 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM

Updated Thursday, Jul 3 at 8:48 AM

VANCOUVER -- The motorcycle officer shot seven times in Vancouver Monday has been released from the hospital, police said Thursday.

Dustin Goudschaal, 32, was critically wounded during the shooting, but on Wednesday morning, his condition was upgraded to satisfactory at PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center. By Thursday he was recovering at home.

Goudschall's ballistic vest apparently saved his life, court records said.

More: Officer shot in Vancouver

Goudschaal was hired by the Vancouver Police Department in 2008, after working as a police officer with the University of Arizona Police Department.

He received a VPD Meritorious Service Award in December, 2011, "when he responded to a suicidal subject armed with a handgun pointed to his chest," said spokeswoman Kim Kapp. "His competent professional performance in a stressful situation and his actions that day made a difference in one man’s life."

Photos of shooting scene

Goudschaal was shot just before noon Monday, right after he pulled over a pickup truck with mismatched plates at Northeast 162nd Avenue and 34th Street. Witnesses rushed to help him and called police for backup.

After a manhunt that lasted nearly three hours, two suspects were arrested. The man accused of pulling the trigger, James Sapp, appeared in court Tuesday and his bail was set at $10 million.

Timothy Plantenberg was in the vehicle with Sapp, according to investigators. The pair allegedly drove from the scene in a pickup truck but crashed into a tree about 14 blocks away. Police said a black handgun was found inside the truck.

After crashing into the tree, Sapp allegedly stole a pickup truck from an 88-year-old bystander and was captured after crashing that truck, too.

More: Police ID suspect in police shooting

Officers swarmed the area and arrested Plantenberg about two hours later. He told police Sapp was driving when the officer approached and used a gun hidden between his legs to shoot him, according to court records.

As Sapp drove away, the officer shot back at their truck. Plantenberg said he grabbed the steering wheel to make Sapp crash, so he could get out of the vehicle, according to court records.

Raw video: Vancouver shooting scene

"It's one of the worst nightmares that we go through," Vancouver Police Chief James McElvain said Monday after the shooting.

A regional major crimes team was still investigating the shooting and subsequent traffic crashes.