NORTH PLAINS, Ore. - A home was destroyed by fire in rural Washington County Monday but a woman and her 50-year-old son who live there managed to safely escape with their pets.
When firefighters reached the home at 25365 NW Moreland Road just before 2 p.m., it was already engulfed in flames.
Firefighters were able to bring the flames under control in about 30 minutes, but spent another two hours mopping up hot-spots. They said the area was not serviced by a municipal water system, so crews had to shuttle water to the scene, which took extra time.
Investigators said the home was not insured and firefighters were unsure if it had smoke alarms.
The woman who lived in the home said the blaze may have been sparked by a coffee maker that malfunctioned.