VANCOUVER -- A man accused of second-degree murder for a controversial shooting in January following a prowler call to 911 pleaded not guilty Tuesday.
The trial for Sean Doucette, 27, was scheduled to begin on May 13.
Friends of the late Iosif Dumitrash, 19, were in Clark County Superior Court for the plea hearing. They declined interviews, saying they were too upset to speak.
Doucette told KGW that on the advice of his attorney, he should not speak to the media.
The incident began around 4 a.m. January 29, when dispatchers said they got a 911 call about a prowler near Northeast 33rd Street and 148th Place.
"Minutes later, another call came in to dispatch reporting that the prowler had been shot," said Kim Kapp with the Vancouver Police Department.
Officers arrived to find 19-year-old Dumitrash (pictured above, right) dead in the street. The medical examiner's office said the cause of death was a gunshot wound and the manner of death was homicide.
Doucette's defense attorney said his client was returning home from work when he heard a car alarm in the neighborhood. He then told his wife to call 911 and report a crime in progress, while he went to stop the crime. The attorney also said Dumitrash attacked Doucette and that Doucette was defending himself, fearing for his safety.
In the probable cause statement obtained by KGW, a witness said the men started fighting and fell to the ground. As the fight stopped and Dumitrash started to walk away, Doucette shot him, according to that witness.