Man lost thousands in tattoo gear in van fire

Man lost thousands in tattoo gear in van fire

Print
Email
|

by KGW.com Staff

kgw.com

Posted on February 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Updated Friday, Feb 28 at 7:55 PM

CORNELIUS, Ore. – A man and his 2-year-old daughter who narrowly escaped a minivan fire at a Cornelius Burger King drive-thru, lost thousands of dollars in gear Thursday.

Mike Ostella said he is thankful he and his daughter, Eliana, survived. But Ostella said he lost thousands of dollars of equipment he uses as a tattoo artist.

The fire started just before 1 p.m., when his minivan started to smoke before flames, started by a malfunction in the van’s fuel system, started to jump out from under the hood, according to Matt Johnston, a spokesman with Forest Grove Fire & Rescue.

Background: Minivan up in flames at Burger King drive-thru

Ostella grabbed his daughter and abandoned the van as it sat between the board where he placed his order and the drive-thru window.

Moments later, the van was fully engulfed in flames, Johnston said.

No one was injured in the fire, but Ostella said he lost about $5,000 in tattoo equipment and his insurance won't cover all the damage.

Forest Grove Fire helped tow the van away and gave the family a new car seat.

Patricia Edmonds was driving by and snapped a photo of the van fully engulfed in flames.

Print
Email
|