Malaysian PM: "Flight 370 ended in So. Indian Ocean"

Credit: AFP/Getty Images

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak (R) prepares to deliver his statement on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 while Malaysian Minister of Defence and Acting Transport Minister Hishammuddin Hussein (R) joins him onstage at the Putra World Trade Center (PWTC) in Kuala Lumpur on March 24, 2014. The missing Malaysia Airlines jet came down in the Indian Ocean, Prime Minister Najib Razak said March 24, as the airline reportedly told relatives it had been lost and that none on board survived. AFP PHOTO / MOHD RASFAN (Photo credit should read MOHD RASFAN/AFP/Getty Images)

Print
Email
|

by NBC News

kgw.com

Posted on March 24, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Updated Monday, Mar 24 at 12:19 PM

New satellite data analysis show that missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 crashed into the southern Indian Ocean, Malaysia's prime minister told a press conference on Monday.

Prime Minister Najib Razak said that was "with sadness and deep regret" that he announced that the Boeing 777's "last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean west of Perth, [Australia]."

He added: “This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sightings. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that according to this data the flight ended in the southern Indian Ocean.”

Complete Coverage Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

The prime minister said that his announcement was based on data analyzed by the U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch and satellite firm Inmarsat.

He said they had been "performing further calculations on the data, using a type of analysis, never before used in an investigation of this sort."

“Malaysia Airlines have already spoken to the families of the passengers and crew to inform them of this development,” the prime minister added. “For them the past few weeks have been heartbreaking. I know this news must be harder still.”

Earlier, the families of passengers aboard the aircraft were sent text messages by the airline telling them that the plane been "lost."

 

 

Selamat Omar, the father of a 29-year-old aviation engineer who was on the flight, said some members of families of other passengers broke down in tears at the news. "We accept the news of the tragedy. It is fate," Selamat told The Associated Press in Kuala Lumpur.

After more than two weeks of mystery and speculation, the prime minister's announcement was the first confirmation of the fate of the Boeing 777 that vanished on March 8.

Flight MH370 vanished from civilian radar screens less than an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing with 239 people on board.

Print
Email
|