ALBANY, Ore. -- A man was arrested Wednesday in connection with a rape and a homicide in Albany last month, as well as three burglaries and a robbery, police said.
Lucius Gentry Wilson III, faces twelve charges, including murder, in connection with the six crimes, said Captain Eric Carter of the Albany Police Department.
Gentry is 18 years old and accused of robbing an Albany Circle K clerk with a handgun on April 17. Police said he also burglarized three homes in Albany and Jefferson.
Wilson then allegedly raped a woman on May 7. Police said he climbed onto a balcony, entered the second-floor window to her apartment and sexually assaulted her at gunpoint.
Background: Man climbs balcony, rapes Albany woman
On May 13, an 8-year-old boy called police to say he had found his mother was bleeding. Responding officers found 36-year old Albany resident Angela Esther Stephenson had been shot to death. Wilson has now been accused of her murder.
Wilson's neighbor, Martin Mendez, was stunned to hear the news.
"My wife here, she's scared to know this happened," Mendez said. "Two doors down, a murderer lived there, you know. He was 18 years old. He had his whole life ahead of him, that's sad."
The rash of crimes shook the small town of Albany over the last two months, with some residents telling KGW they were started to carrying guns to protect themselvs.
”I find myself checking windows and doors, especially in the middle of the night,” said resident Shay Hunter after the crimes were reported.
Albany woman: 'My gun is near me at all times'
Dectectives said Thursday they had not found a connection between the suspect and the vicitims.
Wilson was booked in to the Linn County Jail on the following charges, Carter said:
- Count 1: Murder - With a Firearm
- Count 2: Burglary in the First Degree - With a Firearm
- Count 3: Burglary in the First Degree
- Count 4: Rape in the First Degree - With a Firearm
- Count 5: Kidnapping in the Second Degree - With a Firearm
- Count 6: Robbery in the First Degree - With a Firearm
- Count 7: Burglary in the First Degree - With a Firearm
- Count 8: Burglary in the First Degree
- Count 9: Robbery in the First Degree - With a Firearm
- Count 10: Burglary in the First Degree
- Count 11: Theft in the First Degree
- Count 12: Burglary in the First Degree
Mike Benner contributed to this report