Newberg student overdoses on cold meds

Print
Email
|

by Mike Benner, KGW Staff

kgw.com

Posted on April 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Updated Wednesday, Apr 9 at 1:22 PM

NEWBERG, Ore. -- A high school student was hospitalized Monday after overdosing on cold medicine.

Authorities said a Newberg High School student was acting odd Monday. The school resource officer assessed the situation and called for paramedics. It is believed the girl ingested a large amount of cold medicine in order to get high.

She was rushed to Providence Newberg Hospital. Her conditions was unknown.

Substance abuse expert Rod Robbins said teens turn to cold medicine for the euphoric high they can get, but too much of the medicine can cause significant liver damage.

“I think it’s important for parents not to assume drug use of any kind is a phase their kids will outgrow,” said Robbins. “The earlier the drug use and experimentation begins the more likely they are to have the problem continue into adulthood.”

Excessive drowsiness, hypothermia, excessive body temperature, and convulsions may be signs that your kids are experimenting with cold medicines.

 

Print
Email
|