PORTLAND – Former Trail Blazer Zach Randolph has requested that the records associated with the $4 million civil lawsuit filed against him be blocked from public disclosure, the Oregonian reports.
Randolph is being sued by convicted drug dealer James Beasley for assault and theft associated with an alleged attack in Aug. 2011. As first reported in the Oregonian, Randolph was concerned the confidential records associated with the lawsuit might be misused.
Background: Randolph’s home searched in assault, pot case
Beasley claimed he was assaulted after trying to sell marijuana to Randolph. Beasley said there was a disagreement over price and Randolph ordered several men to beat him with a pool cue.
After Beasley reported the incident to the Clackamas County Sheriff’s Office in 2011, detectives searched Randolph’s home. Officials said the evidence found backed up the victim’s allegations.
The incident was the second one involving one of Randolph’s friends that year. On New Year's Day, a nightclub bouncer was shot to death in downtown Portland. Kevin Moffett, a known member of Randolph's entourage, was later arrested and charged with the crime.
Randolph was drafted by the Trail Blazers in 2001 in the first round. He won the NBA's Most Improved Player Award in 2004 and continued with the Blazers until 2007 after signing an $84 million contract extension. Since then, he played for the New York Knicks, Los Angeles Clippers and Memphis Grizzlies, his current team.
Randolph’s trial for the civil lawsuit was scheduled for Nov. 6.