E-cigarette batteries caused 2 Medford fires

E-cigarette batteries caused 2 Medford fires

E-cigarette batteries caused 2 Medford fires

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

kgw.com

Posted on March 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

MEDFORD, Ore. -- Medford authorities say the lithium batteries that power the vaporizers in electronic cigarettes have caused two fires recently in Medford when they overheated during charging.

Fire Marshal Greg Kleinberg says one caused a mattress to catch fire, while the other exploded and sent bits of burning battery into the ceiling and walls.

Kleinberg tells the Mail Tribune that nobody got hurt, but either fire could have gotten out of hand, with serious consequences.

He says the devices aren't strictly regulated, and not all have been tested by nationally recognized laboratories.

Kleinberg says people who use the battery-powered devices should unplug them before going to bed be sure to have a working smoke alarm.

Print
Email
|