E. Ore. prison back in lockdown after new fight

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

kgw.com

Posted on May 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Hours after the Oregon Corrections Department said an Eastern Oregon prison was back to normal operations after fights earlier in the week, the prison returned to lockdown status Friday night after a disturbance involving 14 inmates.

Corrections spokeswoman Liz Craig said early Saturday that visits at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution in Pendleton have been canceled until further notice.

Visits had been scheduled to resume Saturday. Craig said no additional details were immediately available.

Multiple inmate fights broke out Monday night at dinnertime.

Forty-six inmates were put in disciplinary segregation. Two staff members suffered injuries.

Craig says an investigation continues to determine the cause of both Monday's fights and Friday's incident.

The medium-security prison houses approximately 1,700 men.

Print
Email
|