Deadly Vancouver house fire started by cigarette

Deadly Vancouver house fire started by cigarette

Print
Email
|

by Associated Press

kgw.com

Posted on June 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

VANCOUVER -- The Vancouver fire marshal says a woman who died in an apartment fire apparently started it accidentally by falling asleep while smoking a cigarette.

The 27-year-old woman died of smoke inhalation.

Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli told The Columbian the woman had been smoking in bed Sunday morning.

Residents who saw smoke at the second-floor apartment banged on the door and then forced their way inside. They rescued a dog before they were forced out by thick smoke.

Firefighters contained the fire to one unit at the Courtyard Village Apartments in Vancouver's Rose Village neighborhood. Property damage is estimated at $42,000.

Print
Email
|