Christmas tree fire burns Canby home

Christmas tree fire burns Canby home

Credit: Canby Fire District

Christmas tree fire burns Canby home

Print
Email
|

by KGW Staff

Bio | Email | Follow: @KGWNews

kgw.com

Posted on December 17, 2012 at 4:47 PM

CANBY, Ore. -- A Christmas tree caught fire in a Canby home Sunday afternoon, causing $150,000 in damages, fire officials said.

Firefighters were called just after 3 p.m. to the report of a fire at 7171 S. Barnards Road, according to Troy Buzalsky of the Canby Fire District.

Investigators found that the lights on a Christmas tree had been left on when the tree caught fire. All the doors and windows in the home were closed and the fire continued until it ran out of oxygen. It had "self-extinguished" before crews arrived, Buzalsky said.

No injuries were reported. All of the occupants of the home were accounted for.

"Structurally, the home suffered minimal damage, however, the smoke and heat damage is massive," he said.

He added that the fire served several reminders: Water trees regularly, use only factory-tested and approved lights in excellent condition, do not modify Christmas lights, and only leave lights on when you are in the room.

He said trees should also be kept a safe distance away from all heating elements and open flames.

Print
Email
|