ALOHA, Ore. -- A 6-year-old boy was severely burned after his mother mistakenly grabbed a can of model engine fuel to ignite a barbecue grill Sunday afternoon.
Crews were called to the home in the 20400 block of SW Rock Road just after 4 p.m.
Eliceo Lopez-Soto suffered burns to his face and hands, as well as inhalation injuries. He was flown in a LifeFlight helicopter to Legacy Emanuel Hospital, where he was last reported in critical condition.
The mother was trying to re-ignite briquettes and mesquite chips and grabbed a fuel used to power model airplanes and cars, said Sgt. Bob Ray of the Washington County sheriff's office. The 'Top Fuel' is a high-octane gasoline often combined with nitrous oxide, he said.
Neighbors told KGW Eliceo had been near the grill when there was a loud explosion. They said debris from the blast was blown up onto the roof of the house. The whole family had been gathered in the yard for an Easter barbecue.
His mother suffered superficial burns and did not need medical attention, Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue officials said.
Sgt. Ray said it does not appear that any criminal charges will be filed.
Eliceo is a first-grader at L.C. Tobias Elementary School in Aloha. Principal Steve Callaway met with his family Sunday night and had counselors available at school Monday to talk to students and staff about what happened.
"We have to make sure we support our students and staff because it hits us right in the heart," Callaway said.