FAIRVIEW, Ore. -- A 5-year-old boy's curiosity with fire has left three families homeless in Fairview, investigators said.
The boy and his 18-month-old sister were staying with their grandmother Wednesday evening in the Fircrest Apartments while their parents were at work. Antion Foster, the children's father, said another child in the apartment, his nephew, used a lighter on the bottom of the bed, catching it on fire.
Everyone got out, but the fire left Foster and his family starting from scratch.
"We lost all our belongings in there," Foster said. "It was traumatizing but thank God we got out safe and we're all here together and that's all that matters to me."
Two other apartments sustained smoke and water damage. Residents of those two apartments had to move out.
The Red Cross was helping 11 people, including the Fosters.
Residents were fortunate in one respect: The nearest fire station was just a block away.