Sticky Date Pudding
- No-stick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups pitted dates (about 8 ounces), finely chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons (1/2 package or 4 ounces) Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter, softened
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons (2 ounces) Kerrygold Pure Irish Unsalted Butter, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- Lightly whipped heavy cream
Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray; set aside. In bowl, combine dates, boiling water and baking soda to soften dates; let stand 30 minutes or until lukewarm. In electric mixer bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt. With spatula, gently fold in flour mixture and softened dates (including water) until just blended. Pour into prepared pan, spreading top to make even. Place on shallow baking pan; bake until top is puffed and firm to touch in the center, 45 to 55 minutes.
Cool cake in pan on wire rack for 20 minutes. If necessary, run narrow knife along side of pan to release cake; carefully remove rim of pan. Continue cooling cake until warm. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes, without stirring.
(Makes 1 2/3 cups sauce)
Cut cake into 12 wedges; spoon about 2 tablespoons warm sauce over top. Serve with lashings of cream. Makes 12 servings.