PORTLAND -- A Washington County man’s thumb was blown off when illegal fireworks exploded in his hand Sunday, authorities said.
Curtis Januik, 27, lit a fuse while holding a launch tube in his right hand. Witnesses said the fuse burned faster than he expected and the fireworks exploded before he had a chance to let go.
The accident happened outside his home at 19465 NW Mahama Place in the Rock Creek area of Washington County just before 10 p.m.
Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue responded and treated Januik for a severe hand injury, then rushed him to Legacy Emanuel Hospital. His thumb was blown off in the explosion but later re-attached at the hospital.
“He is expected to eventually regain most of the use of his right hand,” said Sgt. Bob Ray witih the Washington County Sheriff's Office. "Mr. Januik told Sheriff’s deputies, ‘I learned my lesson.’ He was not cited in the incident.”
Junuik told investigators that he had purchased a large amount of airborne mortar-type fireworks in Vancouver. These fireworks are illegal in Oregon. Deputies confiscated the fireworks and turned them over to TVF&R for destruction.
Januik is currently listed in fair condition at the hospital.