PORTLAND - Fire officials say we can all learn something from the explosion in Texas that we can apply to our own homes.
It's the natural instinct to use water. More often times than not, that is correct in the home. But there are times it can actually make the fire worse.
Water makes grease, gas and electrical fires worse.
For a grease fire, remove the pan from the heat source cover, and put it out with an extinguisher.
Electrical fires cannot be put out with water, because it conducts electricity.
Fire officials recommend shutting off the power source first, then using an extinguisher.
Experts say the most important thing to do is always call 911 to get the fire department there first.
KGW Reporter Katherine Cook contributed to this report