Mother warns of e-cigarette dangers to children

Mother warns of e-cigarette dangers to children

Print
Email
|

by Paige Hill/KFOR

kgw.com

Posted on March 27, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Updated Thursday, Mar 27 at 4:51 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The number of kids getting their hands on liquid nicotine used to refill e-cigarettes and being rushed to the emergency room grows each year.

Ren Gaulrapp's 4- year-old happens to be one of them.

Her son was supposed to be taking a nap, when he snuck into her bedroom and got his hands on a small vial of liquid nicotine she uses to refill her e-cigarettes.

"We hear a little noise, come in and he has taken the lid off of all of them and has this liquid everywhere. He`s got it all over him. He`s been eating it," says Gaulrapp. "The liquid itself is very sweet. There`s not really anything in it in the lower nicotine levels that are going to discourage a child from wanting to play in them."

He vomited all day and then suffered painful withdrawal symptoms.

The accident hasn’t stopped Gaulrapp from using e-cigarettes, the liquid nicotine at her home just goes on a higher shelf now and she’s added to her son’s “do not touch” list.

Click to read more from KFOR

Print
Email
|