OKLAHOMA CITY -- The number of kids getting their hands on liquid nicotine used to refill e-cigarettes and being rushed to the emergency room grows each year.
Ren Gaulrapp's 4- year-old happens to be one of them.
Her son was supposed to be taking a nap, when he snuck into her bedroom and got his hands on a small vial of liquid nicotine she uses to refill her e-cigarettes.
"We hear a little noise, come in and he has taken the lid off of all of them and has this liquid everywhere. He`s got it all over him. He`s been eating it," says Gaulrapp. "The liquid itself is very sweet. There`s not really anything in it in the lower nicotine levels that are going to discourage a child from wanting to play in them."
He vomited all day and then suffered painful withdrawal symptoms.
The accident hasn’t stopped Gaulrapp from using e-cigarettes, the liquid nicotine at her home just goes on a higher shelf now and she’s added to her son’s “do not touch” list.