Stephanie Stricklen

Recent posts
Find posts by keyword
Find posts by date


The hospital was fun. No, really!

by Stephanie Stricklen

Posted on May 19, 2009 at 2:29 PM

Updated Wednesday, Nov 4 at 2:42 PM

What a day I had yesterday.

Let me give you the cliff notes version. As you know if you've read my previous blogs, I'm gaining almost a pound a day right now. Normal weight gain is about a pound a week.

That's a problem.

I wake up about 4.5 pounds lighter than I end the day. That means, by the time I hit Live @ 7, I'm pushing some serious bloat. It makes my hands feel like tight water balloons, and I don't really remember what my cheek bones looks like. I actually wore the husband's wedding ring the other day when the over-sized temporary one I have became too tight. I now proudly wear Crocs with socks because my regular shoes only fit in the morning. And I challenge anyone to deride me for my questionable choice in fashionable footwear.

But turns out no one cares about that in the hospital. Well, they care about the facial and hand swelling, but only as a symptom of a greater problem.

Yeah, that's where I ended up yesterday afternoon. In the hospital. But it really wasn't a bad or stressful experience at all. I was happy to know that people way more knowledgeable than me we're taking a close look at my pregnancy.

Here's one edema-riffic Steph chillin' at the hospital. And I say chillin' because I swear they had the room set to 60 degrees. The nurse said the cold reduces the swell. It also makes me grumpy, but, whatever.


And here's what we learned. I have high blood pressure. The edema (swelling) and the blood pressure kicked in at the same time. In the past two weeks my weight has risen 9.5 pounds and my blood pressure has moved from a rock solid 110/70 to an average of 140/85-ish.

But (and here's the best part of all of this) my body is handling it like a champ! They got in there and looked at all kinds of things; liver, kidneys, platelets, you name it-- they checked it. And so far, no internal impact at all on me or my baby.

That's right, people. This little Nuggette is doing really well. Her heartbeat was rock steady and she even proved her mama right when the nurses asked me which side she likes to hang out on (I had a moment where I wondered 'Does everyone know the answer to that but me?' and I sort of guessed based on where she likes to punch me in the ribs.)

So, I have a little more than a week to go before I'm full term (37 weeks) and then I will have a true sense of relief as I play the waiting game to see if she waits until 40 weeks or comes sooner.

And, because of the blood pressure, I'm on the doctor's Watch List, which is not a bad place to be as far as I'm concerned.

Thank you to everyone who has been so kind to me on this blog, on Twitter, and on email. I'm know I'm not the first woman to go through pregnancy even if these blogs sometimes might come across like I think I am. I can't properly find the words to tell you how much I appreciate being able to share this with you. Thanks!