Going Green

Recent posts
More
Find posts by keyword
Find posts by date

Print
Email
|

Zupan's 'Green' Giveaway

by Joe Michaels

kgw.com

Posted on July 18, 2007 at 8:44 PM

Updated Wednesday, Nov 4 at 2:35 PM


Paper or plastic? This question...heard echoing around the country...is getting an new twist in Portland. And that 'twist' could save you some money on your grocery bill.


zupans.jpg

Zupan's Markets is giving away 10,000 reusable grocery bags at their four area locations. Each time you use that reusable bag, Zupan's will give you 15 cents off your grocery bill...or donate that 15 cents to the non-profit SOLV. They work on supporting clean-up and beautification projects across the state.
Above photo courtesty www.commerceinv.com

Why the push to use these 'green,' reusable bags?

Every year, plastic bags require billions of gallons to be produced here in the US. And stastistics show that as little as 1% of those bags are recycled. The other 99%...they'll take hundreds of years to break down 'naturally.' And paper bags have similar concerns...requiring a lot of resources to be produced, and often not being recycled.

Bag2a.jpg


So many people think these reusable bags are the way to go. You can avoid a lot of the concerns that come along with using a paper or plastic bag. A lot of local grocers offer these reusable bags...and they can be bought for a nominal fee. If you do a little shopping at Zupan's sometime soon, there's a chance you can get one of these reusable bags for free.

Print
Email
|