PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Portland Trail Blazers were planning on unveiling their redesigned logo during the NBA draft lottery on May 16.
On Monday, however, the logo showed up on merchandise pages on the NBA store's website.
With the news already out, the Blazers moved up their timetable and made the official announcement hours later.
May 8, 2017
Welp, the cat's outta the bag...
We've got a fresh look for 2017 and beyond.
The revamped logo gets rid of the color silver to return to the franchise's primary color scheme of white, black and red. In addition, the color red was flipped to the top of the logo in a nod to the 1990's design.
Another interesting note about the redesign is that the angles of the lines on the pinwheel are exactly 45 degrees. According to the team's website, this shift represents "the 45th Parallel North that leads on a path to the Northwest region."
VOICE YOUR OPINION: What do you think of the new logo? Join the conversation on Facebook.
The team's release on its website included an interactive graphic that annotates various facts about the redesigned logo:
1. 10 lines represent the game of basketball: two teams of five players, coming together at center court in competition. The movement and symmetry of the lines reflect the mechanics and fluidity of the game
2. Each of the lines follow the same trail to the center of the pinwheel and are now connected as an added symbol of teamwork.
3. The updated pinwheel is reminiscent of our original 70’s logo that was constructed with evenly spaced lines and congruent edges.
4. The angle of the lines are now at exactly 45 degrees representing the 45th Parallel North that leads on a path to the Northwest region, our community and our hometown.
5. To honor the tradition of our 1990’s brand, we reversed the color scheme of the logo to feature our red on top.
6. We are introducing an updated font that is a modernized interpretation built from our rich history and reflecting the styles of the Northwest.
Casey Holdahl, team beat reporter for the Portland Trail Blazers, said the team will unveil new uniforms, designed by Nike, in late summer. Holdahl also reported that "the changes associated with the new uniforms will be more much more noticeable than the changes to the logo."
For those who have asked (and keep asking!) new Nike uniforms will be unveiled in "late summer."— Casey Holdahl (@CHold) May 8, 2017